Monday, July 26, 2010

Teaching in Uganda

Pope Benedict XVI called Africa an enormous spiritual lung 
for a humanity that appears to be in crisis of faith and hope. 

My Mother, Joann Ryan went to the beautiful country of Uganda to teach, donate school supplies, and to strengthen a cultural partnership between Saint Raymond's in Philadelphia and Saint Charles Lwanga Bubaare Parish in Ibanda, Uganda. I'm so proud of her! 


 After looking through 100s of pictures, I asked her, "What was the thing that surprised you most?" 
She answered, "The children REALLY want to learn, and teachers are so respected there. They are just so incredibly dedicated to learning, and they're just little children, ...the teaching experience was very different from teaching my American students."


Look who she ran into during her layover in Amsterdam! 
Director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University Henry Louis Gates Jr.


 This little girl needed to see what was in Mother's handbag.
Girl after my own heart.

        

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Rhonda. Brought a tear to me eye (or a few). We sometimes forget how lucky we are.

    And your mummy is so gorgeous. I think you two look alike. Obviously I am only judging from pics!

    Thanks for a lovely post

    Ree
    XXX
    http://reallyree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ree! You called it right I look exactly like my Mother!

    ReplyDelete