Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Denise Fike Designs!

Hi! I'm super excited today! I finally have time to sit down and write about my visit to Denise Fike's studio! Ok.. let's start from the beginning.  I was at a photo shoot with John Wind, his home was being shot for a fabulous magazine spread... and as much as I love the click of the camera, I was distracted by a really cool portrait of John. So while the photography equipment was being moved to another room, I asked about the portrait.
  • Me- John, is this you?
  • John - Yes, its by Denise Fike.
  • Me - Really?
  • John - Do you know her?
  • Me - No, but I'll Google her tonight.
  • John - She's great, ... never without an important hat, high heels, and a smile. In her collage style, she does portraits mixing vintage wallpapers and fabrics with freehand brush work. You'll love her.
  • Me - Maybe we should get some shots for facebook


A week later we posted her portraits on the John Wind - Maximal Art facebook page..... It also gave me a reason to email her, let her know that I love her work and that John has featured her on his page.  One facebook message led to another and .... she says, "Oh if you want to see my work up close come to my studio". Oh Em Gee! Really? I am there!



Denise has a studio on Pine Street, in one of the cool neighborhoods of Philadelphia, and standing among her paintings feels like being backstage at a serious fashion show.  I'm completely surrounded by glamazon girls all standing at attention ready to stomp the runway.  


 And the conversation is immediately comfortable, we're talking about designers, her process, her teaching career... and .... wait for it, she says... Would you pose for me?  Everything that is cool about me went out the window..... and I'm just looking around like a lost puppy.  




Ummm.... Hell yeah, is what I'm thinking, but I say, Ooooh sure, of course!  I had questions prepared but after that, I couldn't put a thought together so we coordinate our schedules for the next meeting.



I float off to my next appointment with Kirk, author of The Marketing Fix: 100 - Words - On (are you following him? Seriously, if you're a blogger, have an Etsy shop, if you're trying to get your name, brand, or product some attention... you should be following this blog).  My appointment is seven blocks away near Rittenhouse Square, (glad I was wearing ballet flats) and the whole way there, I was thinking, what am I going to wear for this portrait? 



I know I want to wear one of John's statement necklaces, and platform heels, other than that... 
I really don't know.  I'm taking suggestions. 









Rhonda Ryan PR-Maximal Art IBelieveInStyle@gmail.com
_____________________________________________________
Special For the Style Shepherd Followers:

This weeks Giveaway is very special!  It's a John Wind Vintage Inspired Gold Brooch!  You're going to have to work for this one. To win, you must be a follower of the  Style Shepherd of course, follow John Wind Maximal Art on facebook, follow Denise Fike Designs on Facebook, and leave a comment with a suggestion of what kind of dress I should wear for the Denise Fike portrait.  All comments must be posted by Wednesday August 4th, 2010 11:59PM. The winner will be chosen by random.org and announced Thursday August 5th, 2010. Comment as many times as you like (no translation yet, comments must be in English). Good Luck!

32 comments:

  1. LOL I follow John Wind Maximal Art and Denise Fike Designs. I was thinking of wearing a long red dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow Style Shepherd

    Donna
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "like" John Wind - Maximal Art on facebook

    Donna
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "like" Denise Fike Designs on facebook

    Donna Hufman Warrington
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should wear a pretty summer dress, length, LONG with a tastefull pair of sandles.

    Donna
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh love this - and will immediately be looking up Denise Fike - the works you posted are terribly chic. Oh but wait...you are going to be her upcoming subject(double sigh) - wear your stunning John Wind necklace and your fantatic smile (with carefully chosen togs of course) and she can interpret the absolute supreme fabulousness that you beam! Oh you simply must share your portrait and I and have to know more about this extraordinary artist! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Denise's work is looking better than ever--so rich and ornate! I'd love to see you strike an art-historical pose. This Odalisque by Ingres is one of my favorite:
    http://www.corinnaclendenen.com/images/ingres_odalisque.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's beautiful, but it wouldn't show off your necklace very well, maybe I could wear a bunch of them dangling down my back. We'll see. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a follower Lyudmila
    lusizova (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. follow John Wind Maximal Art on facebook,
    Lyudmila Sizova

    lusizova (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. follow Denise Fike Designs on Facebook,
    Lyudmila Sizova

    lusizova (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should wear a silk dress, long and necessarily hat
    lusizova (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. blog follower
    lubaska dot k at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I follow John Wind Maximal Art on facebook (Ľubica Kotmániková)
    lubaska dot k at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I follow Denise Fike Designs on Facebook (Ľubica Kotmániková)
    lubaska dot k at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I follow Style Shepherd, John Wind Maximal Art and Denise Fike Designs on Facebook. [Aik Chien]

    I think you should wear a dress that stands out from the others and suit your skin tone at the same time.

    Check out these dresses:
    Red
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/jesicca%20alba%20dress/NrllAless/blog/news/mtv%20movie%20awards%202007/jessica-alba-mtv-awards-5-v2.jpg

    Gold
    http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/stylewatch/best_dresses/jessica_alba300x400.jpg

    White
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dl7s2KS1L._AA280_.jpg

    Yellow
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ND920tPjWkA/TEu-YVVDiKI/AAAAAAAA5Qs/Tu3qXSm5nFc/s1600/dita+bon+teese+life.jpg

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. i would suggest to wear the best pick in your wardrobe. her studio looks really professional... maybe one color long dress or grey costume.
    lubaska dot k at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like John on FB

    malmort01 a optonline net

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would wear something more calm and let her vibrant colors show you off.

    malmort01 at optonline net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have enough issues trying to figure out what to wear myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enter me please! I love the brooch. I'm already a follower via google. Following both on FB (Ana Belén R M)
    You should wear a LBD with a nude peep toes!

    Ana Belén R.M
    fisiwoman(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Spain

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like John on FB:) (julie matek)

    jmatek@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. LIKE Denise on FB:) (julie matek)

    jmatek@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. A vintage pink dress :)

    jmatek@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Follow via GFC as Elena and on FB as Elena Rudaya

    I think it must be a simple dress in bright/neon color

    queen-of-pain at yandex dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you should wear a dress with a really rich pattern, maybe a floral dress.

    luckysluna(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Following via GFC as Janinay

    following John Wind Maximal Art on facebook

    following Denise Fike Designs on Facebook

    I think you should wear something dramatic, like a long black gown and red shawl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a new follower and I have liked John Wind Maximal Art and Denise Fike Designs on Facebook. I think with a gorgeous statement necklace a simple, elegant black dress will be perfect.

    dhesh at webmail dot co dot za

    ReplyDelete