Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy New Year! 2009!

It's January 19Th and not quite to late for a "Happy New Year!' Post, but this last month has been hectic. I moved.... need I say more?

The building I was living in became a challenge to share. When you live in the city, you are blessed to coexist with a very diverse group of people, cultures, and personalities. Unfortunately, there are times, when no matter how much tolerance and patience you possess, those differences can make life very difficult.


A certain 'Lady of the Evening' moved into an apartment on the floor below mine and as everyone became aware of her... business. A posse dubbed 'Operation Git Ridda Ho" was formed. A President and Treasurer were appointed, and they went to work.

"Should we organize a march? Write letters? I know... lets start a petition, canvas the neighborhood. Call our State Representative! "


I did not sign up. It's not my right to tell an adult woman what she can or can not do with her body. She did not have a home office, so... live and let live. Honestly, it was not an easy stand to take. The other neighborly women were offended by her very existence, and were equally nauseated by my choice not to pick up a pitchfork and join the angry mob.


Side Bar - She returned from a .... 'gig' in Vegas wearing the most gorgeous, softest looking leather knee high stiletto boots and Louis Vuitton carry - on that I have ever seen. I wanted to know so badly what brand those boots were, but ... after not joining 'Operation Git Ridda Ho', girl talk about designer boots would have turned the pitch forks on me too. I want to live to see many more Fall, Resort, and Spring seasons, so I could only admire from a safe distance, which according to the O.G.R.H. Handbook is 4 to 5 feet at all times.


Long story short... the economy being what it is, Hot Mama had to cut her overhead and move to a more modest location. You guessed it! She started bringing her work home! That's when our little main street became a four lane expressway, and not a state trooper in sight. The posse was livid. So was I! I had defended her right to be a Ho, and now her Ho Boots were stompin' all over my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. To late to join the posse? I jumped ship. The charm of being the last to join 'Operation Git Ridda Ho' and being the first to evacuate is not lost on my neighbors. I know because I only moved a block away and they have been so sweet in letting me know their feelings. Maybe they were right. Nip it in the bud.


So... speaking of the economy, the other reason I moved is space. Not unlike my working girl neighbor, the economy has made my overhead... taxing. That's right! This Hot Mama is working from a home office as well. I'm going to focus on jewelry and accessories, as opposed to dresses. I needed to make this decision well before the lure of prom season has my hand 10 feet out for the money. It's bittersweet, but we have closed the doors on the studio in Manayunk. I love that space and it became a fashion sanctuary for me, but... working from home on smaller projects gives me the flexibility to work at 5 AM or 11:30 PM and on more projects at a time. I could go on and on, but let's just wrap it up by saying that my business plans are moving in a new direction.


'The only constant is change. Change is the only constant.' - Heraclitus


This year is about 'gettin' my hustle on', and being flexible.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment